Fri, 5 June 2015
Summer is HERE!!!
Summer means all sorts of awesome things. One of them is vacations. But let's be honest...most people in ministry don't vacation very well. This episode of the Productive Pastor is about how to take a great vacation and to not worry about the things that usually keep ministry leaders from taking vacations.
1. First #productivepastor tip: Go to the doctor. Don't be stubborn like Chad. I can't imagine how much time and energy I have wasted over the last couple of months because I am stubborn and I didn't want to spend 1 hour with my doctor.
2. Winners of Called by JD Walt.
A big thanks to ALL OF YOU who have been rating and reviewing the podcast on iTunes. It is a huge help.
3. Michael Hyatt: Getting the Most Out of Evernote.
Awesome Vacations and Exactly How to Make Them Work
How well do you vacation? My wife and I have only taken a handful in ten years. We go on trips with family...but we have only gotten away, just the two of us, 3 times in 10 years. That includes our honeymoon. This year we decided to fix this problem.
The first step is taking a great vacation is getting over the idea in your head that ministry people aren't allowed to be gone for over a few days. Your leadership needs to have your back. This will help you get into the right headspace. A theology of vacation is much like a theology of sabbath. They are purposeful and necessary. I was totally floored when one of my leaders told me, after my last vacation, "You are acting like yourself and that is exactly who we need you to be."
You need to decide or figure out what relaxes you. Vacations can be replenishing or retreat. What are the things that will contribute to that? This is part of developing the "why" of your vacation. Trust me, just doing this sort of thing in your head will help you get into vacation mode quicker.
Tips on Making Vacation Work
1. Take 2 Sundays off.
2. Clear your tasks 1.5 days before you leave.
3. Take 1 day back to recollect (not do).
4. Tell people you are going on vacation.
5. Find space for your creative mind to flourish.
Remember to sign up for the Productive Pastor Insider List. Get a great FREE productivity resource and the inside scoop every other Friday.